- Media Criticism
- Herbert Schiller, “The Corporation and the Production of Culture”
Most culture is produced, distributed and controlled by a decreasing number of corporations despite the increasing variety of cultural forms and genres.
- In addition to technology, what other factors have led to the corporatization of culture?
- What has changed in terms of the concentration of ownership?
- What is the ideological effect of the “heavy public consumption of cultural products and services?”
- What are some factors in the market economy that have promoted the “upsurge in the culture industries?”
- Why do big cultural firms allow “small-scale and relatively independent activity to continue to exist in cultural work?”
- How does mass culture “deceive” its audience and hide the “means of production” of mass culture?