- Media Criticism
- Mizuko Ito, “Japanese Media Mixes and Amateur Cultural Exchange”
Japanese otaku culture encompasses a variety of media forms and active practices of remixing and remaking, suggesting ways that youth fan culture is always active.
- What is participatory culture? How is it ordinarily a marginal activity?
- How does otaku compare to Grossberg’s definition of a fan?
- How is participation central to yugioh and card-trading activities?
- How do girls participate in doujinshi that suggests an active remaking and remixing practice?
- How is amateur cultural production of otaku cultures at odds with elite and high-brow concepts of culture and education?