- Media Criticism
- Mark Andrejevic, “The Work of Being Watched: Interactive Media and the Exploitation of Self-Disclosure”
With the rise of digital technologies, surveillance has changed from being a top-down power structure where users are monitored to one where users voluntarily surrender their personal information to private corporations.
- How has surveillance been used in pre-digital work environments?
- Does Dot-Com’s experiment of broadcasting his life around the clock suggest a break from a top-down model of surveillance?
- How do interactive digital media depend on capturing and processing personal data?
- How does TiVo use personal data in a way that was impractical in the mass media age?
- How does digital media ultimately take personal information and put it in the custody of private companies?